Week Seven…Challenging, But Possible

When I first started this project I scoured through all my tutorials and books to figure out 26 tutorials that I wanted to work on.  I wanted them to be challenging and include something new that I had to learn or something I needed to practice.  I also wanted to include the tutorials that I have had for a while, but pushed aside when it came to actually creating the item because I thought the tutorial would be something I couldn’t do.

The funny thing is that I have gotten some new tutorials because of a great sale and then a new book came out that I have been waiting for.  Last week and this week I have chosen two of my new tutorials to work on.  One because I simply couldn’t wait to try it and the other because it is one of those that I really want to do, but it would end up on my procrastination list. 🙂  Ah, the procrastination list, the place that looks so great filled with such good intentions, but never has any productivity.  I can live there if I am not careful because of fear.  I am a doer by nature, but it amazes me how I can become an avoider in this area.  There are always other projects and tasks that help me avoid and still do, so I guess it works out.  I am thankful that this challenge is forcing me to face that fear and do the things that I can and not let fear keep me away from creating beautiful things.

This tutorial that I chose to work on was Elf Ear Cuffs by Nicole Hanna.  This is definitely a tutorial that would have fallen into the procrastination pile because of fear that I really couldn’t complete it, or if I did it would be a huge mess of wire with a few beads thrown in for good measure.   The ear cuffs were a challenge, to be sure, but I persevered and I did it!

I think the biggest challenge I ran into was making a mirror image pair.  I knew that I wanted to make both ear cuffs as I went along to help them be similar.  I was faithfully making my way through the steps and several steps into the project I realized I was making two for the same ear.  It was disappointing and I tried to figure out if I could reverse a few things, to make it work for the other ear, but it couldn’t be done without a lot of damage to the wire, so I started over.

Here is a picture of the extra ear cuff I now have for the next pair I make…

img_0004
Beginnings of another ear cuff

I was glad I started over.   I found it to be tricky to weave upside down and backwards to get the mirror image for this tutorial.  I also ran into the problem of my weave being so neat that I mistook the back part of the weave for the front, but I caught that one early and was able to make it right.

This project was one to grow my patience.  I didn’t want to give up, but I did have some moments of questioning my sanity as to why I define this torture, I mean artistry, as fun.

Finally, here are pictures  of the finished pair of ear cuffs.

img_0008
Completed right Elf Ear Cuff
img_0006
Completed left Elf Ear Cuff
img_0010
Completed pair of Elf Ear Cuffs

I am pleased with how they turned out.  There are a couple of things I would like to improve, but they are basic techniques that will improve with practice.

Next week, I will be working on a bracelet from Sarah Thompson.  It is a video tutorial and will be the first time I have done a video tutorial, so that will be interesting.

I hope you will have the courage to try something new this week.  Maybe something on your own procrastination list.  Let’s be doers instead of avoiders.  I am learning that things that seem paralyzing from a distance are not that scary up close.  Until next week!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s