The tutorial I chose for this week was a free tutorial that IMNIUM recently released. It was for a woven band technique that could be used in many different ways, not a completed project. I had never attempted anything like this, so it was a new experience to be sure.
I cut my wire and took my time in trying to figure out the directions…it is a free tutorial, so there is a little guess work involved. When I began I left enough extra wire so I could end the woven band without running into problems. I started this project holding it in my hand, but quickly realized that I needed a clamp because I had to hold it pretty tight and my hand was aching already. I switched to a spring clamp I had and things seemed to be going along pretty well until I got a little ways above where the clamp was holding it. I re-positioned the weave and tried to get it straight, but wasn’t successful. I was quickly coming to the conclusion that this project wasn’t something I really wanted to learn. I had the basic technique down, but I found the process a little boring and I knew it was going to take a lot of patience and time for me to figure out how to get a consistent weave. I found it encouraging to realize that by being able to eliminate this type of weaving I had identified part of my jewelry “style”. Figuring out my style is really another long term goal for me and one I should have realized this challenge would help me in. I desire to take wire and beads or cabochons and just create and see what comes of it, but I haven’t had the confidence in my abilities and thought I would end up with a wad of wire and my perfectionist side could not stand that. 🙂 Did I mention I am so thankful for how small that perfectionist side has become thanks to all of the growth through this challenge!
Anyway, since I decided I really didn’t want to put the time in to perfect this new weaving technique and I also didn’t want to continue to waste wire, I stopped the project after a few rows.
Here is a picture of how far I did get…
It is an interesting project and I may pick it up again some day, but right now I have so many other things I really want to make and I am realizing how valuable my time is and how I need to focus and prioritize things so they get done instead of thinking I can do everything.
So, I found myself midweek with a project I really didn’t want to do and family and Thanksgiving right around the corner, so I momentarily freaked out trying to figure out how I could end up with a completed project in spite of the time crunch.
When I started this challenge I switched to using only raw copper wire on the projects because I grew tired of using plated and coated wires that would end up with scratches and tool marks no matter how careful I was. I have been so pleased with this choice because I can file and buff out any marks that end up on the wire and I really like the finished look of the oxidized copper. As a result there are several pieces I have wanted to remake with my new wire, and that is what I ended up doing for my “finished piece” for the week.
The piece that I did a remake of was the Candle Flame Pendant which I made following the tutorial by Nicole Hanna. (I am sure by now you can tell I prefer Nicole Hanna tutorials to any other. 🙂 ) When I made the first one I didn’t actually like the pendant as I was making it, but after I finished it I really did like it. This taught me to wait until I complete a piece to decide if I like it or not.
When I start making a piece, there can be some doubt in my mind wondering if I can actually make a piece. This was one of the reasons I wanted to do this challenge…to battle that and grow past it. This week I am seeing the fruit of that growth. When I started making the new Candle Flame Pendant, that question popped into my head…will I be able to make this. The answer was almost immediate…of course I can…I already have made it! It was a great thing to just simply make a piece and not waste time on whether I could or not. I hope that confidence is something that continues to grow in me! Things went really well and fast on making the new pendant and I did it while enjoying time with family.
Here is a picture of the first Candle Flame Pendant I made using Vintaj Parawire…
Here are pictures of the one I made this week using raw copper wire…
I didn’t have time to oxidize the pendant this week, so I will do that at a later time and post more pictures when it is finished.
One thing I found interesting in remaking this piece is how differently they turned out even though I followed the same tutorial. I guess that is why each wire wrapped piece really is one of a kind because when you make things by hand there will always be variations of some kind. There is something really special about handcrafted things and I am thankful that I can create some of those things.
Here is a picture of both pendants so you can see the differences…
This week December will begin and it will be a very full week for me, and I am sure that your schedules are very full too! I hope you have a great week and things don’t get too crazy for you…or for me! May the Lord help us all as we go through life this coming week!