In the past month I have sold four pieces of my jewelry. It was something that was unexpected, but I am so thankful and humbled by it. The reason it was a surprise is because I haven’t been actively seeking customers through marketing. I have an Etsy store where I have listed some of my early pieces, but I have close to 20 pieces that I have finished but haven’t listed. My focus has been on other areas in my life in order to complete some short term projects and that hasn’t left me with the time to invest in my jewelry business yet. The biggest project I have been working on was finished this week and I am super excited about it. I have spent the last 6+ months going through literally everything I own and determining if it sparks joy for me or not. I have gotten rid of everything that didn’t spark joy. This is the konmari tidying event that I have mentioned in a few previous posts. Now all I need to do is find a home for the things I have decided to keep…this will be the fun part in my opinion. I am really looking forward to taking inventory this week and coming up with a plan to get everything where I want it. I like plans and lists in general in case you haven’t noticed. 🙂 Something else I have finished this week is my six week 0 to 5k walking plan. I actually walked almost 4 miles which is more than a 5k. It was a great feeling of accomplishment. I have been unable to do much exercise due to other health issues, so the fact that my body was able to do this is a big deal and I am so thankful for it!
Well that raps up my “finishes”, now it is time for the “first” that I mentioned in my title. One of the pieces of jewelry that I sold was a custom order and it was my first time to make a custom order. Custom orders have always seemed like a big deal to me because I know how hard I can be to please and how much I would want to please others in what I make for them. It just seemed like way too much stress to try and work out, but I have to say that wasn’t my experience in this case. I had a previously made piece that my customer liked and I was able to create a customized piece based on it. That really helped things go well because I had a general idea of where I was going and all I had to do was customize it.
I ended up using the basics from the Sunset Cloud Pendant tutorial from Nicole Hanna and added the colors that my customer wanted. I also needed to adjust the tutorial for three beads instead of four. In my first piece I used 6 mm beads and they blended in well with the wire work, but this time I wanted to use 8 mm beads to make them more prominent because I was making a “family” necklace, which is like a mother’s ring but this was for a child to remember the parents by using their birthstone colors instead of a mother remembering her children by their birthstones. I also needed to alter the wire weaving because I was eliminating one bead and I needed to make sure I would still end up with a circle like piece that flowed well and had good spacing.
Here is a picture of the necklace that I made following the Sunset Clouds Pendant Tutorial several weeks ago…
Here are some pictures of the one I customized this week…
I am so pleased with how it turned out and that my alterations were successful in the end. I hope my customer will be pleased with the results as well. It was a fun piece to make and I liked the challenge of altering the tutorial for a different number of beads because it showed me that I have gained good knowledge on the construction techniques in wire work in general. It is so great to see the growth in my journey because I can remember a time when I would have been too overwhelmed to even try because the though of altering a tutorial would have been too much. I thank the Lord that my fear of the unknown and trying new things is shrinking and I am taking on new challenges.
Well, that is all for this week. I hope that you have a great week that is full of love encouragement, adventure, and growth!