Last week I tried a few new things in wire wrapping and had fun, but one thing I really missed was the weaving. My favorite thing about working with wire is the weaving part. I love to make thick weaves with many base wires and I also love including a variety of different weaves in my pieces. The only downside to weaving with many base wires is it can take a while, but it is worth it in the end. Because I really missed weaving last week, I was pretty sure I wanted to make another piece of my own as this week’s project so I could weave like a crazy woman. 🙂
I decided to use a dyed (what I think is agate) bead that I bought a strand of last year at a bead show as my focal bead. The stones were dyed an aqua blue color and some of them have a crackle look inside that reminds me of the ocean.
When I was gathering my supplies to begin my project I came across a section of weaving that I had created several weeks ago. I had been seeing a weaving stitch that I found interesting and wanted to give it a try and so I did. At the time I had planned to use it with a cabochon, but when I came across it this week I thought it would make a great focal weave in my pendant.
Here is a picture of the weave I am talking about…
When I first started this week’s project I noticed how laid back I felt about it. There weren’t any doubts in my mind that I could create my own piece and that was a great realization! I just started making my own pieces without tutorials in January of this year and I can remember how scared I was at the thought of even trying something without a tutorial. The funny thing is once I started I really enjoyed seeing where the wire went without a plan to follow, and that wasn’t something I was expecting. Now, creating my own pieces is quickly becoming my favorite way to make jewelry. I am so thankful for the growth and progress the Lord has brought about in this area of my life. I am amazed at the way He uses wire working to refine me and help me conquer things that I wouldn’t think possible. Probably one of the funniest ways He has used wire working is to develop patience in me. I have always said I am not a patient person and I hate to wait and sit still, then one day I realized that I sit for hours weaving wire…the irony was not lost on me. 😀
I got off to a pretty good start with my pendant, but things got sidetracked and I lost my groove. There is a place that I reach in creating a project where my speed increases and the ideas are flowing. It is a happy place and I call it my “groove”. It is the place where I am not really thinking about what I am doing, but the wire work just flows out of me. After the first day I realized that I was having trouble finding that sweet spot and when I would work on it the flow wasn’t there. I found myself procrastinating because I was too tired or some other lame excuse. I finally realized that I was getting so caught up in another project I am doing that I didn’t have the resources I needed to make the pendant. As a side note…I recently realized that when I begin a new project I tend to lose myself in it by inadvertently giving up my identity and control to it. It isn’t something I was aware of, I only knew that projects got really stressful and I couldn’t wait to finish them and get back to my normal routine. Being aware of this fact, I wanted to make sure I held on to my identity and control as I began a big painting and a small renovation project in my craft room. This is why I didn’t have my usual amount of mental and emotional resources…that and female hormones which I won’t go into detail about. 🙂 It can be draining trying to make sure your thoughts are going down the right path…especially when the path is a new one.
Anyway, it was Saturday before I finally found my groove. My husband and I went to a local coffee shop and I was able to focus on and finish up my pendant there.
Here are some pictures of it…
I am pleased with how it turned out overall. I did notice that after I cleaned and oxidized the pendant two things changed. The drilled hole in the focal bead cleaned out and my copper wire shows through. I don’t think it is a huge deal, but I would prefer it to be hidden. The other thing I noticed is the beads I used in the strand on the right side changed color. They were originally a pale grayish purple color, but after oxidizing them they were more clear. The good thing is their sparkly luster is still there. It would have been very sad to have a strand of clear dull beads there. I thought they were Swarovski crystal beads, but I was mistaken…oh well, lesson learned.
Here are a couple of picture of the small purple beads before and after oxidizing…
I think next week I am going to try my hand at the Finish It tutorial for the contest Nicole Hanna is having on her webpage. I haven’t entered a contest before with my jewelry and I am not sure I will enter my piece, but we shall see how it turns out. Well, I think that is it for this week, I hope you all have a blessed week!