Last week I mentioned I thought about entering the “Finish It” contest which is being hosted by Nicole Hanna. Well, I planned to make that my project for this week and I was ready for the challenge. I wasn’t sure if I would actually enter the contest or just make the piece. However, I wanted to create with entering the piece in my mind. It was Tuesday before I was ready to start on the project and the first thing I did was sit down and look at all of the rules of the contest and the tutorial I would be using. I didn’t want to be disqualified because I didn’t know the parameters I was to work within. I ran into a snag because one of the requirements was that I can only use what the tutorial lists as my materials with only one exception. I needed some clarification on what “one exception” meant, but I realized that if I wanted to complete this project I would need to purchase a couple of new beads to complete it.
It used to be that I would jump at the chance to purchase something new in general, but that isn’t the case anymore. After I spent the first six months of this year going through everything that I owned and discarding everything that didn’t spark joy (Konmari method), I don’t really like buying things just to buy them anymore. I also have a boatload of beads that spark joy and I want to try using most of them up before buying more…so I can cut the bead hoarding habit. I have learned that buying things or holding onto things out of fear that I won’t have them doesn’t spark joy in me. At one time buying things and having a lot of stuff felt like a safety net, but it became a burden that I felt guilty for. All of this to say, that buying any extra beads this week didn’t spark joy so I decided to not do the contest and create something that would spark joy and use up stuff I already had.
I decided that I wanted a bit of a challenge so I chose a ring tutorial. Rings are something I don’t normally make because I can’t get the sizing right and the construction is more complicated in general…at least in my mind. I followed the Victorian Ring Tutorial by Nicole Hanna to complete my piece.
Honestly I didn’t know what to expect. It didn’t look like a hard tutorial, but I know how to complicate simple really well. 🙂 I actually had fun in creating this ring and found myself really relaxed while creating it in general. That may sound like something odd to say, but I am usually pretty intense and sometimes stressed when I am making jewelry. I think it is just another sign of becoming more comfortable with creating and learning to not be afraid of messing up. My mind is also really focused on remodeling my craft room, so I didn’t have as much focus to spare for creating jewelry this week…I just needed to make it, not stress over it. 🙂
Here are some pictures of the finished ring…
This was a fun ring to make and I am pleased with how it turned out. The main thing I was uncertain of was the use of a 8mm undrilled cabochon (something tiny and without a hole to secure it). I didn’t have any problems with it at all and that was very encouraging, especially after my first experience with an undrilled cabochon made me unsure I wanted to try to use another one. I will probably make more of these rings in the future.
Some things I realized in creating this ring…
~Rings aren’t as scary to make as I thought.
~I would like to continue growing in my skills of using undrilled cabochons.
~While thinking about things is good, there is a point of overthinking that creates unnecessary stress.
~I am getting faster in making jewelry.
~Choice is a powerful thing.
~Knowing what sparks joy in myself makes life a lot less complicated.
Well, I will say good bye for now. I am not sure what my next piece of jewelry will be but I do know it will most likely be challenging and hopefully fun. I look forward to priming the walls of my craft room this week! And I hope that whatever you do it goes well for you!