Last week I didn’t finish my piece. It wasn’t a great way to start the challenge for me, but I decided to accept where I was and move forward with grace instead of getting caught up in the disappointment. This week I wanted to finish the piece from last week and then finish another pendant that I had started last month instead of beginning something new.
In general, I try not to start too many projects without finishing them because it is so easy to end up with a pile of things half done. I notice this to be the case in all aspects of my life not just in jewelry making. This is especially a problem in organizing and cleaning because when looking around there are just piles of stuff and it is hard to see the progress. There is something about being able to see progress that energizes me to keep going and ultimately finish.
I have noticed in the past several months I have had a harder time finishing things due to the grief of losing my sister. Grief is a funny thing that affects us all in so many different ways, most of which we don’t realize. I tend to analyze things that go on and how they affect me because I like to understand what is going on in and around me. I noticed that one of the reasons I was having such a hard time finishing things was due to my decision making ability being hindered. I didn’t realize how much grief can affect your ability to decide things, but it makes a lot of sense because of all the emotions rolling through you at that time. Realizing this made me so thankful that I had already finished the first part of my konmari journey – where I went through everything I owned and decided what sparked joy and got rid of the rest. I was in the second part where I decided on a home for each item and that is where I got side tracked due to my loss. Things may not have a home, but at least I am not looking at a bunch of stuff that I don’t like. 🙂
Jewelry making can require a lot of decisions if you are not following a tutorial. You may not even recognize that decisions are being made, I know I didn’t at first. I starting having trouble finishing my pieces and I couldn’t figure out why, but I recognized how many decisions I was trying to make and the problem became clear. As a result I have let a few unfinished pieces build up this past fall. I decided I needed the freedom to create without the pressure of creating a finished product.
This week I was able to finish two pieces and it felt great to push through each decision I needed to make and continue on.
Here are some pictures of the Amphora Vessel Pendant (Nicole Hanna tutorial) from last
week that I finished…
It was an interesting piece to complete. Normally I would not have had much fun with the challenges of the mirroring and the cabochon, but I really did. I think the biggest challenges were having a larger stone to work with and needing to adjust the tutorial accordingly. Normally that isn’t a big problem, but because I haven’t worked with many cabochons I don’t have a solid grasp on the construction for a piece made with an undrilled stone. Last week when I was making the first part of the pendant I was wishing for a drilled stone that would stay in place instead of a slippery cabochon that kept popping out while I was trying to capture it.
I really enjoyed working with the labradorite. All of the different hidden facets that were brought out with light made it fun to explore. I look forward to working with more of this type of stone in the future.
Here are some pictures with the labradorite doing a couple different things based in the lighting…
The other piece that I finished this week was created with a glass lampwork bead made by Molly Cooley. My normal habit is to make pieces with beads I have had on hand for a while, but when I received this bead I couldn’t wait to wrap it. I got the general design worked out in December, but I got to all of the little finishing details and got a little overwhelmed. This week I was determined to focus and figure out those little details and make all of those little decisions. It was a lot easier than I expected and I am thankful for that.
Here are some pictures of the completed pendant…
I wasn’t sure how I wanted to wrap this bead at first. I knew that I didn’t want to cover the bead at all because it is so lovely. It was a challenge to make something that fit my style, but didn’t cover or overshadow the bead, but I am pleased with the results.
I didn’t use a tutorial for this pendant, but I did borrow a technique from a tutorial that I have been wanting to play around with. The smaller wire weave going over the bail is a technique from the Fern Weave Pendant tutorial by Julie Hulick. That is a tutorial that I hope to work with in the next couple of weeks, but I wanted to incorporate that part of it into my pendant this week.
Here is a picture of the bail with the technique mentioned…
This week has been a good reminder of how great it feels to finish things. I know I enjoy making jewelry, but it is nice to feel that joy in the process of making and finishing different pieces. I look forward to beginning a new piece tomorrow for Week #3! I hope that you have a blessed week!