Last week I really enjoyed making three pendants and the speed in which I accomplished them in. This week I wanted to continue that speed and see if I might be able to make more than one piece, but sadly it didn’t work out the way I had anticipated.
I chose the La Petite Pendant Tutorial by Nicole Hanna for my main project this week. Since I have been trying to work on improving my skills in working with undrilled stones and beads I thought this tutorial would be another great step. I was correct that it would help me grow in that area, but it ended up being in what I don’t want to repeat rather than what I succeeded in.
In the beginning things were going okay. There were some parts of the tutorial I wasn’t very confident on, but I figured they would work out eventually because they usually do. A little way into the pendant frame I ended up with some wires that were too tight and ended up bunching up. I used my flat nose pliers to flatten the area out, which is something I normally do. What I didn’t realize was that I had flattened it too much and created a hole in the back side. The hole wasn’t merely a separation in the wire, but a place where the wire had been flattened almost as if I had hammered it.
Here is a picture with the hole in the section of wire I mentioned…
I knew there wasn’t a way to repair it and I thought I should restart the project since I wasn’t too far into it. However I didn’t go with my gut at this point and I continued on. I didn’t want to lose the time I had already invested and I thought it would mean I wouldn’t get to another project this week if I chose to begin anew.
Several years ago when I started making wire jewelry I used the wire that I found at my local craft store which was colored coated copper and silver plated wire. The problem I found with these wires was the marks that marred the coating no matter how careful I was. I eventually found a special coating for my pliers, but that didn’t always help. It is so discouraging to finish a piece, but mar the coating during the final small adjustments that it needs. One of the reasons I love working with raw copper wire is because of its forgiving nature. If I get tool marks on it I can file and polish them out and it looks like new wire. I am no longer afraid to make mistakes with my wire and that has made making jewelry much more fun.
One thing I found out on this piece is that even though my wire can take the filing my beads can’t. Now I do know that, but I wasn’t paying attention to the bead, so I accidentally ended up sanding off some of the coating on my swarovski rivioli bead. I didn’t realize that the coating on the back is what gives it the beautiful colors reflected through the front. Lesson learned…and I needed to pick a new bead since I learned it the hard way.
Here is a picture of the pretty rivioli I planned to used…
Normally at this point in a project I would walk away and take a break because I don’t do my best work when irritated or frustrated. However once again I ignored what I thought best so I could finish the piece and move on to something else. Well my assumptions that things would just work out if I kept going really didn’t work out so well. I ended up with a finished piece that I really didn’t like and one I don’t plan to sell because I am not satisfied in the quality of the piece.
Here are some pictures of the finished necklace…
I am not sure if you can really tell in the pictures that the green rivioli focal bead actually comes to a point in the center. That means the point should be facing the front and as you can see in the “Front View” picture it is actually a little to the left. Sadly this throws the whole piece off visually for me since it is meant to be a symmetrical pendant. That is one of several things that makes me unhappy with the finished product. I tried to see if I could correct the issue, but I guess it was made early on in the process so I couldn’t straighten it without doing significant damage to the piece. It will be something to pay closer attention to in the future.
There were many lessons I learned from this pendant, so while I didn’t like the finished product, it was a worthwhile journey and opportunity for growth.
Here are some of the lessons I learned/remembered…
~Trust my gut!
~It is better to walk away for a short time and return to success than push forward to failure.
~Don’t assume everything will work out…make plans and choices so it does.
~Be present in the moment…even in creating.
~Finishing something is important, but it isn’t always the most important.
~There is a difference in the speed gained by being in a “groove” of wire wrapping and the speed I try to attain by rushing my progress…the difference is the quality of my work.
~I am happiest with quality over quantity.
While I did finish this piece early in the week I found that it messed with my jewelry making the rest of the week. I had planned to make some viking knit end caps for a necklace I already made, but it turned out to be really stressful so I decided to wait on making them. It is a personal item, so I have all the time I need. I am just thankful I learned my lesson and decided to wait instead of pushing through. I also had planned to have all of my necklaces of the past couple of weeks oxidized and share pictures of them this week. I did get them all oxidized, but not polished or photographed. Instead I plan to work on them this coming week.
Here is a preview picture of them…
Well, that is it for this week. I look forward to a fresh week and new pieces of jewelry to create! I am getting the itch to create something without a tutorial again, so I will probably do another of my pieces in the coming weeks. I hope you have a blessed week!
“Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.” ~John C. Maxwell